Biswajeet and Rafi.
Biswajeet Chatterji was one of the few Bengali actors who started his film career from Tollygunge film industry and kept his mark in bollywood films during the golden era. Although his initial films like Bees Saal Baad and Kohra were indebted to famous Bengali singer Hemant Kumar, his fame in bollywood was largely related to grand playback provided by Mohammad Rafi.
Rafi sang very melodious songs for Biswajeet in the film Do Dil, including songs like “tera husn rahe mera ishq rahe”. The songs in the film Mere Sanam composed by OP Nayyar, can be considered as one of the greatest creations of OP Nayyar in the 60s. All the songs of Rafi in the film picturised on Biswajeet including “pukarta chala hoon mai”, “humdum mere maan bhi jao”, “hue hai tumpe aashiq hum bhala mano bura mano”, “tukre hai mere dilki”, etc., became superhits.
Also the due songs of Rafi and Asha, picturised on Biswajeet and Sharmila Tagore titled “phir miloge kabhi is baat ka wada karlo” composed by OP Nayyar became very successful. Again all the songs composed by Shankar Jaikishan in the film April Fool, picturised on Biswajeet and Saira Banu impressed the listeners.
LP provided very romantic compositions for Rafi in the film Night in London, where Biswajeet was accompanied by Mala Sinha. The song “nazar na lag jaye” sung by Rafi had absolute European orchestration and included stylish presentation.
Even in the film Do Kaliyan, Ravi provided melodious songs for Rafi including “tumhari nazar”. Biswajeet’s other landmark songs include “na jhatko zulf se paani” where Rafi had addressed Rajashri in the film. All the songs of the Shehnai became very very successful.
With the advent of action films in the mid-70s, Biswajeet faded away from the film arena, otherwise he may have given elegant lips in more songs of Rafi in that period.
By: CR Chatterji.
- Immortal Ghazals sung by Mohammad Rafi.
- Awards received by Mohammad Rafi in his illustrious career.
- Mohammad Rafi- the greatest voice of the last century.
- Rahul Dev Burman’s immense respect for Mohammad Rafi.
- Laxmikant Pyarellal’s immortal relationship with Mohamand Rafi.
- OP Nayyar’s immortal relationship with Mohammad Rafi.
- Salil Chowdhury’s relationship with Mohammad Rafi.
- Ravi’s memorable combination with Rafi.
- Roshan's everlasting bond with Mohammad Rafi.
- SD Burman and Mohammad Rafi.
- Rafi’s pleasant memories with Madanmohan.
- Khayyam and Jaidev’s relationship with Mohammad Rafi.
- Kalyanji Anandji’s association with Mohammad Rafi.
- Naushad’s association with Rafi.
- Rafi and Jeetender
- Rafi and Rajender Kumar
- Rishi Kapoor and Rafi